Kenyatta University and the Economic Growth Center at Yale University are together seeking the expertise of a Research Manager for a project based in Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya. The role would be responsible for managing the implementation of a randomized controlled trial (RCT) field research project which aims to design and test a model of an early childhood development curriculum targeted at 3- and 4-year olds. The Research Manager would work in collaboration with Tharaka Nithi County, the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), and with Principal Investigators from Bangor University, Kenyatta University, and Yale University.
The role is full-time role and will be based in Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya with travel to Nairobi.
The Research Trial Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the randomized controlled trial examining the effect of an early childhood educational intervention in schools across Tharaka Nithi County. The candidate will have a unique opportunity to work closely with a diverse team of local and international researchers and with multiple stakeholders, including the County government, a data collection firm, and an intervention team. Working with this group, the Research Manager is responsible for the delivery of a high-quality randomized evaluation that is aimed at providing rigorous evidence on the impact of expanding public childcare to 3-year-olds in Kenya through a new, innovative model of childcare provision.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation and ensure effective coordination of the RCT, working with implementation partners, university partners, data collection partners and researchers to ensure that all aspects of the field project comply with the required specifications of the research design, including intervention implementation, sample selection, and data collection
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation and ensure effective coordination of the RCT and implementation partners, university partners, data collection partners and researchers to meet the project goals
- Ensure that the field project adheres to research design principles for randomized control trial field experiments and meets the required specifications of the research design, intervention implementation, sample selection, and data collection
- Work closely with the Principal Investigators, research leads and team to develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for the successful delivery of the randomized intervention and associated primary data collection. These include the development and oversight of field and quality control protocols, and coordination with local partners
- Coordinate and work closely with a Tharaka Nithi County Government project manager, project intervention supervisor and other stakeholders to ensure smooth delivery of the RCT in conjunction with the education programme
- Support the research team by ensuring all field and data activities are carried out in accordance with IRB requirements and field safety protocols
- Meet regularly with the research team to provide project management and program monitoring inputs (field reports, budgets, etc.)
- Identify and communicate potential challenges and troubleshoot problems as they occur in the field
- Manage day-to-day relationships with partners and key stakeholders (research team, data collection firm, curriculum team, County Government, KNBS and others)
- Coordinate regular meetings across various time-zones and numerous team members, including setting the agenda, noting documentation and following up on meeting action items
- Other tasks, to support project management, as requested.
- Proficient oral and written English and Kiswahili
- A Bachelor's degree with at least 4 years of experience in data-based research, preferably in economics or a related field
- A demonstrated understanding of field-based RCTs
- Strong grounding in research design principles
- Demonstrable experience in project management and coordination, working with a range of stakeholders at various levels
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated and able to balance multiple tasks and prioritise effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working context
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with data analysis techniques (e.g. Stata, R) preferred but not required
- Master’s degree in relevant area such as economics or public policy/public administration. Significant coursework in economics is highly preferred
- 3 to 5 years of management experience in international development research or related field
- Excellent oral and written English and Kiswahili
- Knowledge of local languages spoken in Tharaka Nithi, Kenya
- Extensive experience with implementing research protocols, managing field data collection and managing RCTs in low-income country settings
Up to 32 months. Full-time consultant position.
As soon as possible
Direct Supervisor: Senior Manager at Economic Growth Center at Yale University
Also reports to researcher Principal Investigator team: Helen Henningham (University of Bangor), Teresa Mwoma (Kenyatta University), Costas Meghir (Yale University), Simon Onywere (Kenyatta University), Orazio Attanasio (Yale University)
Send your resume and a statement of interest to email@example.com with “TNC Creche RCT - Research Manager position [Last Name, First Name]” in the subject line.