Employer: Inclusion Economics India Centre at IFMR/Krea University
Location: Delhi, India
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics India Centre is an initiative affiliated with Inclusion Economics at Yale University, founded and based out of the Yale Economic Growth Center and MacMillan Center. Inclusion Economics India Centre is based at, and accountable to, the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) Society, with strategic oversight from Krea University. Inclusion Economics India Centre collaborates with the Inclusion Economics at Yale University team to enable inclusive economies and societies through research and policy engagement.
Drawing upon economics, political science, and related fields, we conduct cutting-edge research to understand how policy can promote inclusive, accountable economies and societies. Our core research focuses on gender as it relates to labour economics and broader economic empowerment; political economy and governance; and environmental economics. We also aim to build a culture of evidence and increase data literacy in the public sector, strengthening leaders’ ability to identify and implement evidence-informed policies. Throughout the research life cycle, we engage closely with policy counterparts to ensure we address questions of immediate relevance, and we regularly communicate data-driven insights with policy counterparts and the general public.
- Inclusive Opportunity - We study how policies can promote inclusion, and strive to practice this value by creating opportunities for individuals from all walks of life. We collaborate with, and seek to learn from, each other.
- Rigour - We take a rigorous approach to research and the entire research environment – from asking initial questions, to engaging with the right policy counterparts to create impact, to communicating final results
- Curiosity - We approach problems with open-minded curiosity and consider a wide range of approaches – which we then pursue with discipline and rigour. We innovate, drawing upon other fields and developing new approaches beyond traditional economic tools.
- Integrity - We respect each other and those we work with, uphold ethical standards, are honest, admit our mistakes, and are committed to constant improvement.
- Challenge Accepted Paradigms - Bold research and policy engagement allow us to speak to the challenges of supporting the world's poor and vulnerable. We are willing to look through new lenses to rethink the status quo.
We are currently recruiting one or more Post-doctoral Fellows/Research Scientists to support research in India. Final portfolio allocations and title will depend on candidates’ interest, experience, and skillset; ideal candidates have experience and research in one of our core focus areas listed above. The position will provide the selected candidate(s) an opportunity to gain first-hand experience conducting policy-relevant economics research while contributing to an agreed upon project portfolio. Note this position is focused full-time on the research of Inclusion Economics, and does not generally allow for time for junior researchers to work on independent research within work hours.
Responsibilities within the project portfolio include supporting research design and implementation, overseeing data collection and analysis, interacting with stakeholders, and managing research activities and staff. This position requires a self-starting candidate with proven expertise in applied economics research who can effectively navigate India's institutional landscape and appropriately represent our work to outside stakeholders. The position will provide a talented early career researcher the opportunity to work directly with top academics and begin building their own research portfolio.
- Manage and supervise technical aspects of assigned research studies in collaboration with the research team.
- Oversee field-based team to manage research study activities, including intervention implementation, and contribute to field-based scoping, survey design, survey testing, data quality monitoring, and more.
- Clean and process incoming or secondary data and conduct econometric analysis under the direction of senior researchers.
- Manage relationships with collaborating institutions, including policy counterparts and funding organizations; work with partner institutions and governments to set priorities and coordinate project administration and logistics.
- Compile, assess and synthesize research into policy briefs, white papers, memos and academic articles with guidance and oversight of IEIC affiliated research faculty.
- Contribute to building technical skills of IEIC research staff.
- Provide appropriate inputs and support for administrative requirements of the project portfolio, upon request, which may include financial management, budgeting, procurement, contract set-up and compliance, grant reporting, deliverable tracking, etc.
- Contribute to our team’s overall management and strategic vision by identifying new research projects and partners and applying for additional sources of funding in partnership with research team.
- PhD in economics, public policy, political science, statistics, econometrics or related field by mid-2023
- Advanced coursework in empirical methods, including econometrics and economics, with strong demonstrated academic performance
- Solid understanding of research design and experience with data collection and field work
- Proven analytical skills and proficiency in Stata and/or R; experience in Python a plus
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and propose timely solutions with minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt to quickly to changing environments
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from Research Associates to academics, donors, research institutions, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Hindi
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Willingness to travel frequently and spend significant time at research project sites, as needed
- Ability to independently drive research projects and produce independent, high-quality original empirical research in mutually agreed upon areas
- 3 to 5 years of field research or field research management experience in international development or related field
- Experience with research grant management and project management
- Proven success in fundraising for research studies with clear policy relevance
- Demonstrated interest in public policy and South Asia
This position will be based in Delhi, India, with frequent travel throughout the country. This is a two-year position with the possibility of renewal and further growth within the organization.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, research thesis/chapter, a SOP describing the research questions/themes you are interested in pursuing, and academic transcripts. Label your file “Last name, First name – Research Scientist”.
To view other open positions, visit the Inclusion Economics Opportunities page. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, particularly women, people of color and other marginalized communities which have historically been underrepresented in the field of economics.