Employer: Inclusion Economics India Centre at IFMR/Krea University
Location: Delhi, India
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics India Centre at IFMR/Krea University (formerly EPoD India at IFMR) works in close collaboration with Inclusion Economics at Yale University, based at Yale University’s Economic Growth Center and The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies. Drawing upon economics, political science, and related fields, we conduct cutting-edge research to understand how policy can promote inclusive, accountable economies and societies. Our core research focuses on gender as it relates to labor economics and broader economic empowerment; political economy and governance; and environmental economics. We also aim to build a culture of evidence and increase data literacy in the public sector, strengthening leaders’ ability to identify and implement evidence-informed policies. Throughout the research life cycle, we engage closely with policy counterparts to ensure we address questions of immediate relevance, and we regularly communicate data-driven insights with policy counterparts and the general public.
Inclusion Economics India is hiring an India Research Lead to oversee our research activities in India. This position will allow the selected candidate an opportunity to oversee and participate in high-quality research aimed at understanding and addressing some of today’s most challenging public policy issues. The ideal candidate for this position will be versatile, able to effectively guide and mentor research teams in the day-to-day, as well as successfully fundraise for our research and oversee portfolio finances, collaborate with policy counterparts, and communicate effectively about our research with external stakeholders.
This position requires a self-starting candidate with proven research management and leadership experience and familiarity with applied economics research who can work with multiple stakeholders, to deliver on the project objectives. They should be willing to work in a dynamic organisational environment and bring in high levels of integrity and commitment to the work we do.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with managers at Inclusion Economics India to build a high-caliber, committed team of research staff and develop internal staff capacity for research
- Mentoring multiple Research Managers, providing both strategic and administrative guidance, as well as supporting their professional development through competency based approaches.
- Identifying and cultivating fundraising opportunities, as well as inputting and leading submission of successful grant proposals in line with our research priorities
- Providing guidance on programmatic and financial issues in service of research and strategic objectives
- Identifying and investing in new strategic research-policy collaborations, and guiding strategic investments in existing engagements
- Building partnerships with the research, policy, and development community, both to build our presence in the development space and to identify new opportunities for collaboration with external stakeholders
- Effectively representing the body of our work to external stakeholders, including donors, policy counterparts, and (potentially) capacity building trainees
- Conducting research along with our affiliated researchers on topics of interest for Inclusion Economics India, including writing academic papers for peer review
- Writing to communicate research results to non-academic audiences in agreed upon ways - for example, through relevant policy briefs and presentations or opinion editorials
- PhD in economics, political science, public policy, or a related field, with a clear research interest on Inclusion Economics India’s focus areas of gender, labor markets, governance, environment, etc.
- Solid understanding of research project design and processes, including experience with RCTs
- 7+ years experience managing applied development economics research, including overseeing direct reports and directly managing research activities
- Experience with research grants management, budgeting, and project management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proven analytical skills and knowledge of common statistics software packages (e.g. STATA, R)
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and propose solutions in a timely manner with minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from Research Associates to academics, donors, policy counterparts, research institutions, etc.
- Ability to work in a multicultural, multi-timezone environment
- Willingness to travel to visit research project sites and represent our work to external stakeholders on a regular basis
- Proven record of academic publications in peer-reviewed journals in areas relevant to the work of Inclusion Economics India and in line with his/her own research interests
- Working knowledge of Hindi
- Experience with Python (pandas + scrapy), Git, database management
- Indian national preferred
This position will be based in Delhi, India, with frequent travel throughout the country.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, writing sample, and academic transcripts. Label your file “Last name, First name – Research Lead”.
To view other open positions, visit the Inclusion Economics Opportunities page.