Employer: Inclusion Economics India Centre at IFMR/Krea University
Location: Delhi, India
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics India Centre at IFMR/Krea University (formerly EPoD India at IFMR) works in close collaboration with Inclusion Economics Yale, based at Yale University’s Economic Growth Center and The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies. Drawing upon economics, political science, and related fields, we conduct cutting-edge research to understand how policy can promote inclusive, accountable economies and societies. Our core research focuses on gender as it relates to labor economics and broader economic empowerment; political economy and governance; and environmental economics. We also aim to build a culture of evidence and increase data literacy in the public sector, strengthening leaders’ ability to identify and implement evidence-informed policies. Throughout the research life cycle, we engage closely with policy counterparts to ensure we address questions of immediate relevance, and we regularly communicate data-driven insights with policy counterparts and the general public.
We are currently recruiting one or more Post-Doctoral Research Fellows to support research in India. Final portfolio allocations will depend on candidates’ interest, experience, and skillset; ideal candidates have experience and research in one of our core focus areas listed above. The position will provide the selected candidate(s) an opportunity to gain first-hand experience conducting policy-relevant economics research while contributing to an agreed upon project portfolio.
Responsibilities within the project portfolio include supporting research design and implementation, overseeing data collection and analysis, interacting with stakeholders, and managing research activities and staff. This position requires a self-starting candidate with proven expertise in applied economics research who can effectively navigate India's institutional landscape and appropriately represent our work to outside stakeholders. The position will provide a talented early career researcher the opportunity to work directly with top academics and begin building their own research portfolio.
- Manage and supervise technical aspects of assigned research studies in collaboration with the research team.
- Oversee field-based team to manage research study activities, including intervention implementation, and contribute to field-based scoping, survey design, survey testing, data quality monitoring, and more.
- Clean and process incoming or secondary data and conduct econometric analysis under the direction of senior researchers.
- Manage relationships with collaborating institutions, including policy counterparts and funding organizations; work with partner institutions and governments to set priorities and coordinate project administration and logistics.
- Compile, assess and synthesize research into policy briefs, white papers, memos and academic articles with guidance and oversight of Yale-affiliated research faculty.
- Provide appropriate inputs and support for administrative requirements of the project portfolio, upon request, which may include financial management, budgeting, procurement, contract set-up and compliance, grant reporting, deliverable tracking, etc.
- Contribute to our team’s overall management and strategic vision by identifying new research projects and partners and applying for additional sources of funding in partnership with research team.
- PhD in economics, public policy, political science, statistics, econometrics or related field by mid-2022
- Advanced coursework in empirical methods, including econometrics and economics, with strong demonstrated academic performance
- Solid understanding of research design and experience with data collection and field work
- Proven analytical skills and proficiency in Stata and/or R; experience in Python a plus
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and propose timely solutions with minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt to quickly to changing environments
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from Research Associates to academics, donors, research institutions, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Hindi
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Willingness to travel frequently and spend significant time at research project sites, as needed
- Ability to independently drive research projects and produce independent, high-quality original empirical research in mutually agreed upon areas
- 3 to 5 years of field research or field research management experience in international development or related field
- Experience with research grant management and project management
- Proven success in fundraising for research studies with clear policy relevance
- Demonstrated interest in public policy and South Asia
This position will be based in Delhi, India, with frequent travel throughout the country. This is a one-year position with the possibility of extension upon mutual agreement.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, writing sample, and academic transcripts. Label your file “Last name, First name – Post-Doctoral Research Fellow - 1”.
To view other open positions, visit the Inclusion Economics Opportunities page.